- square mile
- nounan area of 640 acres (Freq. 5)• Hyponyms: ↑section
* * *noun: a unit of area equal to a square one mile long on each side — see measure table
* * *a unit of area measurement equal to a square measuring one mile on each side; 2.59 square kilometers. Abbr.: mi2, sq. mi.
* * *square mile1. See square foot above2. (usu with caps) the City of London, specif the area around and incl the Bank of England3. Financial life, activities, etc in the City of London (figurative)• • •Main Entry: ↑square
* * *a system for measuring area:▪144 square inches = ▪1 square foot or 0.0929 square meter▪9 square feet = ▪1 square yard or 0.8361 square meter▪30¼ square yards = ▪1 square rod or 25.293 square meters▪160 square rods = ▪1 acre or 0.4047 hectare▪640 acres = ▪1 square mile or 1 section or 258.9998 hectares▪36 sections = ▪1 townshipsquare mile,a unit of square measure, equal to an area 1 mile by 1 mile or 258.9998 hectares.
* * *a name used for the City of London, where there are many banks and financial businesses
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
См. также в других словарях:
Square Mile — ˌSquare ˈMile noun the Square Mile JOURNALISM FINANCE another name for The City (= the financial and banking centre of London). It is called this because the area of the City is about one square mile … Financial and business terms
Square Mile — the Square Mile another name for the City of London (=the financial and banking centre of London) , used especially in news reports. It is called this because the area of the City is about one square mile … Dictionary of contemporary English
square mile — (UK) The Square Mile is the City, the financial area of London … The small dictionary of idiomes
Square mile — For other uses, see Square mile (disambiguation). The square mile (abbreviated as sq mi and sometimes as mi2) is an imperial and US unit of measure for an area equal to the area of a square of one statute mile. It should not be confused… … Wikipedia
Square mile — Die Quadratmeile war bis ins 19. Jahrhundert hinein ein so weit wie die Meile verbreitetes europäisches und nordamerikanisches Flächenmaß. Ihr Ausmaß war auf Grund der unterschiedlichen Meilenlängen von Land zu Land unterschiedlich. Eine Einheit… … Deutsch Wikipedia
square mile — (mi2 or sq mi) a traditional unit of area. One square mile is equal to 640 acres, 3 097 600 square yards, 258.9988 hectares, or 2.589 988 square kilometers … Dictionary of units of measurement
Square Mile — N PROPER: the N The Square Mile is the part of London where many important financial institutions have their main offices. → See also City … English dictionary
square Mile — (UK) The Square Mile is the City, the financial area of London. (Dorking School Dictionary) … English Idioms & idiomatic expressions
Square Mile — (UK) The Square Mile is the City, the financial area of London … Dictionary of English idioms
square mile — a unit of area measurement equal to a square measuring one mile on each side; 2.59 square kilometers. Abbr.: mi2, sq. mi. * * * … Universalium